City of New Hope Logo

City of New HopeMinnesota

Police FAQ


The city requires peddlers/solicitors to register with the city. As a property owner, you can prevent door-to-door salespersons from coming to your home by posting a “No Solicitation” sign near your door.

Parking and Noise Ordinances

For more information on the parking and noise ordinances see the link below.

Abandoned Vehicles

Abandoned or junked vehicle complaints are handled on a case-by-case basis. Report the information to police by calling 911 or 952-258-5321 and they will have an officer investigate the situation.

Block Parties

You must first read through the rules and complete both Appendix A and the Request for Barricades forms.  The signature portion of Appendix A must be signed by ALL property owners affected by the barricades.  If your event is occurring on National Night Out, all paperwork is due at least two weeks prior to the event date.  Please read through the rules carefully and call if you have any questions.  Depending on the type of event and what you have planned, additional paperwork may be required.

Vehicle Accidents

You need to contact the Police Department (911) if a personal injury is involved, or there is public property damaged in the crash. Police do not have to be contacted for minor property damage accidents. However, if you feel that an officer’s presence is desirable, please call 911 and explain the situation to the dispatcher. (Example: the other driver does not have insurance or proper Identification, or appears to be under the influence of a controlled substance.)

It is required that you file a report with the State of Minnesota if the total damage between both vehicles exceeds $1,000. These report forms are available online .

Pet Licenses and Animal Control

For more information on pet licenses and New Hope Animal Control see the link below.

Calling 911

911 and the Non-Emergency number (952-258-5321) both go to our dispatch center operated by the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office. 

It is advised to call 911 for both emergencies and non-emergencies, anytime you need a police, fire, or EMS response or service. If your call is not an emergency, just advise the dispatcher of that and they will put you on hold if necessary. If you're calling from outside of New Hope, you may reach our dispatch center directly by calling the Non-Emergency number 24/7. 

You may reach the New Hope Police Department Administration and Records for copies of police reports, parking permits, or general non-urgent questions at 763-531-5170 during office hours. 

Juvenile Curfew

In Hennepin County there is a county-wide curfew ordinance for anyone under 18.  The curfew was designed to protect children and teens from being involved in, or victimized by, crime during nighttime hours. 

Under 12 Sunday through Thursday - Home by 9 p.m.
Friday and Saturdays - Home by 10 p.m.
Ages 12-14 Sunday through Thursday - Home by 10 p.m.
Friday and Saturdays - Home by 11 p.m.
Ages 15-17 Sunday through Thursday - Home by 11 p.m.
Friday and Saturdays - Home by 12:01 a.m.

There are exceptions for employment, school, religious observances, sponsored recreational activities, emergencies, errands at the direction of a parent or guardian and engaging in activities protected by the First Amendment.  The law applies if the child is any public place after curfew hours including walking, biking, and driving a vehicle.

If young people are in a public place or business after the above hours without a parent, guardian, or other responsible adult, the police may give them a ticket. A public place means any place to which the public or a substantial group of the public has access and includes, streets, highways, and common areas of schools, hospitals, apartment houses, office buildings, transport facilities and shops. 

Additional curfew ordinance information can be found on the website of the Hennepin County Attorney by following the link below.

Alarm Registration

New Hope City Ordinance requires that all business and residential property owners register their alarm systems.

Complete details and registration forms may be found on the Records Division page


The New Hope Police Department is committed to serving our community through our core values: professionalism, accountability, honesty, teamwork and ethics. Established procedures facilitate the investigation of alleged misconduct by department employees, ensuring the New Hope Police Department maintains the highest level of trust and integrity within the community.

Discussing a Concern or Filing a Complaint
To discuss a concern or file a complaint, call the employee's supervisor at 763-531-5170. When calling, please notify clerical staff that you want to speak to a supervisor regarding the involved employee. If the complaint or concern is not resolved with the immediate supervisor, you have the option of completing a formal police complaint form.

Police complaint forms are available in the lobby of the police department during normal business hours or at the link below. Complaint forms must be signed and delivered by mail or in-person to the New Hope Police Department, 4401 Xylon Ave N, New Hope, MN 55428

 Complaint Investigation Process
A department supervisor will investigate complaints received. The complainant may or may not be contacted as part of the investigation. After the investigation, the supervisor will report their findings to the department's command staff, including the chief of police. The chief of police will determine whether the complaint against the employee is unfounded, exonerated, not sustained or sustained. The department will then notify the complainant of the outcome by phone or mail.


The New Hope Police Department’s ride-along program is intended to allow interested parties to see how a sworn police officer engages in their duties during their shift.

To qualify for the program, participants must:

  • Be 16 years of age or older
  • Be in good physical health, with no significant limitations to getting in and out of a vehicle
  • Be able to pass a background check to include warrants, court orders, and police contact history checks
  • Submit completed liability waiver and data privacy release forms

Ride-alongs are typically scheduled for two-hour periods. Extensions of the ride-along timeframe are at the discretion of the officer. Ride-along participants are allowed to schedule one ride-along session per six months.

Those interested in scheduling a ride-along should review and complete the information below and return it to the New Hope Police Department.

Questions? Contact Sgt. Swaja at [email protected] or 763.531.5170.


New Hope Police Department
4401 Xylon Avenue North
New Hope, MN 55428



Non-Emergency Dispatch:



Fax: 763-531-5174

Office Hours:

8am to 6pm Monday-Friday
10am-2pm Saturday
CLOSED Sundays and Holidays

City of New Hope | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.